Who: Karissa DeRousseau, PT, DPT
Profession: Physical Therapist
Last Year as Bearcub: 2013
Where is your current place of employment/school?
- Malcom Randall VA Medical Center (Gainesville, Florida)
- Recent graduate of California State University, Fresno’s Doctor of Physical Therapy Program.
What is your current job title and what does that position entail?
- Doctor of Physical Therapy; Orthopedic Physical Therapy Resident
- Examination and treatment of musculoskeletal and neuromuscular conditions of American veterans in the North Florida/South Georgia region.
- Currently completing a 12-month specialty residency training in orthopedic conditions to acquire an Orthopedic Certification Specialty.
How did SRJC Sports Med involvement aid in the path that you chose after graduating from SRJC?
- SRJC Sports Medicine Program was my first experience with patient rehabilitation. The program was my foot in the door into the medical field and allowed direct hands-on experience with patients, clinicians, and clinic management. It is a one-of-a-kind learning environment and allowed excellent networking opportunities that led me to further physical therapy experiences.
What is your most fond memory in the SRJC program?
- My most fond memories of the SRJC program were our monthly evening competency training sessions with my classmates. We had a lot of fun learning and practicing our skills on each other.
What piece of advice would you have for current SRJC Sports Medicine Students?
- I advise students to take the opportunity to work and converse with as many different types of clinicians as possible in as many different settings as possible. The SRJC Sports Medicine program is the perfect place to explore, learn, and discover your passions. You’ll never know unless you try it!